Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TXHSBball shot clock; Cy Falls' Andrew Nguyen pushes for rapid adoption in UIL play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TXHSBball shot clock; Cy Falls' Andrew Nguyen pushes for rapid adoption in UIL play

[poll is meant to read: Do the benefits of implementing the shot clock, in some way at some level within the UIL, outweigh the costs/hassle?]

State Champion Cy Falls PG Andrew Nguyen - aka the Asian Sensation on Twitter - joined the Chronicle's Kevin Cook on the Cy-Fair Sports Report to delve into the issue of a high school basketball shot clock. Nine states already play with shot clocks at the varsity level, and Texas should, too.

Listen on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/cyfairreport/...r-a-shot-clock

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...391281275&mt=2
    Yes [add the shot clock asap]
    100.00%
    No [don't need it]
    0%
    Unsure
    0%

FWIW IMO: (1)Benefits would keep game more in line with college & pros(2)and to coaches that emphasize/stress/teach defense over offense. However its costly. Gyms would need to be converted for shot clocks,the hiring of an additional(person at table) timer at scorer table at all schools/gym/games (some schools have hard time just getting regular scorer & timer). All three of these positions are valuable especially timer, which would require additional training for shot clock operator.
    This option(shot clock) will eventually make its way to Texas(when don't know)and will be accepted by all. But (so far) has been opposed by vote and is up again I believe for another. If accepted would speculate that it would be experimented(tried) first on a class level or by select few before fully being adopted and would then probably have a time window for all to make change. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post
      FWIW IMO: (1)Benefits would keep game more in line with college & pros(2)and to coaches that emphasize/stress/teach defense over offense. However its costly. Gyms would need to be converted for shot clocks,the hiring of an additional(person at table) timer at scorer table at all schools/gym/games (some schools have hard time just getting regular scorer & timer). All three of these positions are valuable especially timer, which would require additional training for shot clock operator.
      This option(shot clock) will eventually make its way to Texas(when don't know)and will be accepted by all. But (so far) has been opposed by vote and is up again I believe for another. If accepted would speculate that it would be experimented(tried) first on a class level or by select few before fully being adopted and would then probably have a time window for all to make change. Just my two cents.
      I think that's mostly accurate, but I would say that 'opposed by vote' isn't necessarily accurate. I'd say support is tepid - it seems like virtually everyone (except a few holdouts like Glenn Arnold at Klein HS and Paul Graham at Skyline) is theoretically in favor, but just doesn't feel it's worth the effort/cost.

If you click on the link and listen to the audio (please! would love for y'all to), Nguyen proposes introducing it at the 6A level only - i.e. the kinds of programs where budgets are large enough (even in cash-strapped places like HISD) that the 5-10k is negligible and there are enough assistant coaches, parent volunteers, etc to guarantee a person is always managing the shot clock during games.

It's trouble, sure. But the 9 states that defied the NFHS and implemented shot clocks all feel great about that decision after watching it play out for a few years. I think it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
      X