Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DPaul View Post

My Review

If you like action then this is your movie. If you like music then this is your movie. If you like car chases then this is your movie. From start to finish this movie is full of action. The characters were great although I was a little confused by Kevin Spacey's. The movie gets a little wild as it heads to its climax which had me thinking of the ending to The Departed. Take that as you will. In my opinion that aspect kind of took away from what was going along as one heck of a flick.

Grade B+
    I downloaded the soundtrack and you're right; it is awesome. Will now see the movie based on your stellar review.

Comment

My Review

This movie hits on one of my fears which is being institutionalized in a nut house when you're perfectly sane. The more you try to explain yourself the more people think you're crazy. But this movie is much more than that. It crosses into the horror genre and you're watching a mad scientist at his gruesome best. The lead character played by Dane DeHaan gets into more than he bargained for as he's asked by the board members of his employer to go retrieve the CEO from a sanitarium/"wellness center" as their company is being investigated for criminal misconduct. This "wellness center" is set atop the Swiss Alps and the scenery is beautiful so as it is said in here multiple times, "why would anybody want to leave?" ...Ummmm because your head doctor is a nut job.

I didn't think I'd like this movie as much as I did. It is a long movie at 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Grade B-
      I saw this movie when it first came out and thought it was pretty creepy. I think I'm getting used to Dane DeHaan's acting style and maybe even starting to like him. His deadpan, under-acting, dead eye expression bothered me at first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trojanbacker2 View Post

The book was super interesting. The movie was not. My opinion.
        Gotcha. I kind of figured it was something about not jiving with the book.

Comment

I saw this movie when it first came out and thought it was pretty creepy. I think I'm getting used to Dane DeHaan's acting style and maybe even starting to like him. His deadpan, under-acting, dead eye expression bothered me at first.
          I agree with that take on DeHaan. His style and look has wierded me out too. Thought I was the only one. But he was really good in this. His new movie has a female co-star that is equally creepy looking. Double dose of creepy
          Last edited by DPaul; 07-12-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• For whatever reason, maybe I wasn't in the mood for a "heavier" film, but it just couldn't hold my attention. I got bored real quick.
            "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Apologies if this one has already been covered. Did anyone see Alien Covenant yet? I need to watch Prometheus again, and then Alien Covenant right after. There were a couple of moments in Covenant that threw me for a loop.
              "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by sTp View Post
                Apologies if this one has already been covered. Did anyone see Alien Covenant yet? I need to watch Prometheus again, and then Alien Covenant right after. There were a couple of moments in Covenant that threw me for a loop.
                A sequel to Prometheus which is a prequel to Aliens. In this one we have a whole new cast of characters with the exception of Michael Fassbender's as you can see in the trailer below. The storyline continues and I must admit it gets perplexing to me although I do like the story, I just find myself scratching my head at times. I enjoyed this movie and one thing in the Ridley Scott Alien movies is that he likes the female heroin. I don't want to give too much away so I need to stop right now but it looks like we are on course to meet the storyline of the 1979 Alien movie. I can't wait to watch this again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

Grade B-

Comment

I agree with that take on DeHaan. His style and look has wierded me out too. Thought I was the only one. But he was really good in this. His new movie has a female co-star that is equally creepy looking. Double dose of creepy
                  Looking forward to seeing Valerian and whatever the rest of the movie is called. I think it opens next week? Yeah, DeHaan has a very weird style and look. Was flying on American this week and their magazine has an interview with him. Actually sounds like a pretty cool, down to earth guy.
                  Dunkirk opens July 21 and really looking forward to that.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Valerian and whatever the rest of the movie is called. I think it opens next week? Yeah, DeHaan has a very weird style and look. Was flying on American this week and their magazine has an interview with him. Actually sounds like a pretty cool, down to earth guy.
                    Dunkirk opens July 21 and really looking forward to that.
                    Before Spider-Man: Homecoming there is a clip of Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets what they are calling the opening scene. I wasn't into this but this clip got me interested.

Comment

My Review

If you like action then this is your movie. If you like music then this is your movie. If you like car chases then this is your movie. From start to finish this movie is full of action. The characters were great although I was a little confused by Kevin Spacey's. The movie gets a little wild as it heads to its climax which had me thinking of the ending to The Departed. Take that as you will. In my opinion that aspect kind of took away from what was going along as one heck of a flick.

Grade B+
                      Saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot. It was clever and funny and the way they incorporated the outstanding soundtrack into every aspect of the movie was top notch. I'm not generally a car chase action pic guy, but this was different. However, I never really understood Spacey's character Maybe some back story on him and Baby would have been helpful.

Comment

Saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot. It was clever and funny and the way they incorporated the outstanding soundtrack into every aspect of the movie was top notch. I'm not generally a car chase action pic guy, but this was different. However, I never really understood Spacey's character Maybe some back story on him and Baby would have been helpful.
                        Definitely a unique movie. That opening scene was gold.

Comment

• WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
                          Saw it and enjoyed it. Sci-fi. PG 13 Third sequel to Planet of Apes. 2hr long.
                          Apes stand together strong as they are forced to match up and battle the humans, as Caesar, leader of the Apes, and the leader of the army of humans go head to head to the end. Story line starts out slow in beginning but builds up to dramatic end as Caesar seeks and contemplates revenge.Good costumes and action.
                          Mercy, Mercy,Mercy.
                          A

Comment

• Saw "The Big Sick" this weekend and it was one of the best movies I've see this year. Synopsis:

Kumail is a Pakistani comic who meets an American graduate student named Emily at one of his stand-up shows. As their relationship blossoms, he soon becomes worried about what his traditional Muslim parents will think of her. When Emily suddenly comes down with an illness that leaves her in a coma, Kumail finds himself developing a bond with her deeply concerned mother and father.

Kumail Nanjiani stars in the movie, is one of the writers and it's also based on his life. He is outstanding. His delivery and mannerisms remind me of a young Bill Murray. Holly Hunter, Ray Romano and Zoe Kazan are also great. Great script, very funny movie and also one that makes you think. My kind of movie. There aren't many movies that make me laugh out loud, but this one did.

Last edited by Trojanbacker2; 07-17-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Saw "The Big Sick" this weekend and it was one of the best movies I've see this year. Synopsis:

Kumail is a Pakistani comic who meets an American graduate student named Emily at one of his stand-up shows. As their relationship blossoms, he soon becomes worried about what his traditional Muslim parents will think of her. When Emily suddenly comes down with an illness that leaves her in a coma, Kumail finds himself developing a bond with her deeply concerned mother and father.

Kumail Nanjiani stars in the movie, is one of the writers and it's also based on his life. He is outstanding. His delivery and mannerisms remind me of a young Billy Murray. Holly Hunter, Ray Romano and Zoe Kazan are also great. Great script, very funny movie and also one that makes you think. My kind of movie. There aren't many movies that make me laugh out loud, but this one did.
                              I want to see this. It does look good. There's a 5 o'clock showing just down the road and I get off at 4:30. I hate cutting it that close though.
                              Last edited by DPaul; 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post
                                WAR OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
                                Saw it and enjoyed it. Sci-fi. PG 13 Third sequel to Planet of Apes. 2hr long.
                                Apes stand together strong as they are forced to match up and battle the humans, as Caesar, leader of the Apes, and the leader of the army of humans go head to head to the end. Story line starts out slow in beginning but builds up to dramatic end as Caesar seeks and contemplates revenge.Good costumes and action.
                                Mercy, Mercy,Mercy.
                                A
                                I saw this movie and went into it not expecting to like it. Mostly because my very immature brain can't get over the comical image of monkeys on horseback shooting guns. Every time I think of that, I laugh. But, that being said, I really enjoyed the movie. The technology used to create the monkeys is really awesome and so much better than what I expected. Good movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X