Week 3: Rockwall @ Carroll - 7:30pm Dragon Stadium by slcdragonfan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    SLC13 typically has typically started our threads with impeccable detail. Unfortunately he has been ill, and I have been out of town for a bit so we have been slow to get our threads going. We prefer to start our own threads or, of course, accept our opponents starting the game thread.

I will provide details in a second post for comparisons but wanted to get this up since our games seem to be in so much demand.
    SDF........thanks for covering for me. I will try to take this over again for District play.

Comment

Originally posted by SLCbacker View Post
      Shout out and a speedy recovery to SLC13. You are missed.

Interesting match up this week, with both teams needing a win to bounce back off of losses last week. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'll be at another game this week. It will be interesting to see what adjustments Hal and staff make. There is a definite problem at QB, and that's just the start. I would like to think the Dragons bounce back and win this one, but just don't know. This teams best chance is to run and control the clock, I don't see them winning a shoot out against anyone with all the QB mistakes, and inabilities. The only time I can recall a similar situation was the first few games of 2010, prior to moving up soph Kenny Hill to start. Maybe we see more of Soph Blake Smith? As far as Defense goes, if Doddridge is out, it will be a long night for the Dragons. He is the glue that holds the front 7 together. The secondary will be tested, but should be a strength for Carroll.
      Thanks for the kind wishes, backer!!

We are planning to attend Friday's game, likely will sit in one of the handicap seat along the walkway. Stop down and say hi.

I Agree with many of your thoughts on the game. I would add that OL needs to play better as a unit. They did ok against Martin running straight ahead, but certainly had trouble with Martin's quickness on sweeps and pass protection.

As far as QB situation, while soph is not Kenny Hill, he looks more like a Dragon QB than does Jr. who so far has proven to be a turnover machine. Friday should be an interesting game.

Comment

Both game threads are still up. Never were deleted. Have no clue what some folks are talking about. Pick one, or pick both. I could care less.
        "Never let what works today stand in the way of improving for tomorrow." Old Dawg Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by SLC13 View Post

SDF........thanks for covering for me. I will try to take this over again for District play.
          Owe you some chips and a margarita when you're feeling up to SLC13!

Comment

I posted on the earlier thread so this seems a little redundant, but here goes.

This game could very well be decided by the team with the ball last. As mentioned earlier, Rockwall is capable of scoring in droves and from anywhere on the field. Clark is leading the DFW in passing yards and passing TDs through 2 games. In week 1, Cam Crayton was leading the DFW in receiving yards and after week 2, Jaxon Smith is now on top. It's an embarrassment of riches with our receiving corps and Clark's ability to make every throw. Our leading rusher doesn't have gaudy numbers by any means, but at 4.8 yards per carry he's certainly able to move the chains. We've just been in some shootouts this season which have required a lot of passing. From a numbers standpoint, SLC isn't allowing a lot of passing yardage so I'm not sure if it's the SLC defense or the QBs they've faced resulting in those low numbers. From what I've seen on Hudl, the opponent QBs haven't appeared to be very good passers. Advantage: Rockwall

Rockwall's defense was touted as possibly one of the best in the state during the summer. We have a couple of injuries in key positions that certainly hasn't helped our cause but we have no business giving up the points we've allowed thus far. We got beat in the air during week 1 and we got beat on the ground in week 2 so I'm not sure we even have a real strength at this point. From what I can see, SLC has a very good run game and will sprinkle some quick hits in to keep the defense from loading the box on every play. SLC's O-Line appears to be big, strong, and experienced. It's no wonder they run with the success they have. Rockwall's only chance here is to outnumber the box and make some friggin tackles. It's a tall order! Advantage: Southlake

Rockwall has two excellent kickers and without knowing anything about SLC's Special Teams, I'd have to give the advantage to Rockwall on this one just because I know ours are that good. Our senior kicker, Cole Talley is a 5-star commit to West Point. Our junior kicker is a 4-star so we're loaded in this department. Advantage: Rockwall

Lastly, Home Field and tradition: This game will be played on familiar turf for Southlake and when was the last time they lost 2 consecutive games? I don't think this factor can be overstated. Advantage: Southlake

I give the ever-so-slight advantage to Southlake on this one primarily due to the home field advantage. However, I won't be shocked if Rockwall ends up with the "W". Either way, I anticipate a high scoring game with < 7 points between the two. Best of luck to both teams and I pray for no injuries as we begin District play the following week. #JFND

Comment

Originally posted by RHSJFND View Post
              I posted on the earlier thread so this seems a little redundant, but here goes.

This game could very well be decided by the team with the ball last. As mentioned earlier, Rockwall is capable of scoring in droves and from anywhere on the field. Clark is leading the DFW in passing yards and passing TDs through 2 games. In week 1, Cam Crayton was leading the DFW in receiving yards and after week 2, Jaxon Smith is now on top. It's an embarrassment of riches with our receiving corps and Clark's ability to make every throw. Our leading rusher doesn't have gaudy numbers by any means, but at 4.8 yards per carry he's certainly able to move the chains. We've just been in some shootouts this season which have required a lot of passing. From a numbers standpoint, SLC isn't allowing a lot of passing yardage so I'm not sure if it's the SLC defense or the QBs they've faced resulting in those low numbers. From what I've seen on Hudl, the opponent QBs haven't appeared to be very good passers. Advantage: Rockwall

Rockwall's defense was touted as possibly one of the best in the state during the summer. We have a couple of injuries in key positions that certainly hasn't helped our cause but we have no business giving up the points we've allowed thus far. We got beat in the air during week 1 and we got beat on the ground in week 2 so I'm not sure we even have a real strength at this point. From what I can see, SLC has a very good run game and will sprinkle some quick hits in to keep the defense from loading the box on every play. SLC's O-Line appears to be big, strong, and experienced. It's no wonder they run with the success they have. Rockwall's only chance here is to outnumber the box and make some friggin tackles. It's a tall order! Advantage: Southlake

Rockwall has two excellent kickers and without knowing anything about SLC's Special Teams, I'd have to give the advantage to Rockwall on this one just because I know ours are that good. Our senior kicker, Cole Talley is a 5-star commit to West Point. Our junior kicker is a 4-star so we're loaded in this department. Advantage: Rockwall

Lastly, Home Field and tradition: This game will be played on familiar turf for Southlake and when was the last time they lost 2 consecutive games? I don't think this factor can be overstated. Advantage: Southlake

I give the ever-so-slight advantage to Southlake on this one primarily due to the home field advantage. However, I won't be shocked if Rockwall ends up with the "W". Either way, I anticipate a high scoring game with < 7 points between the two. Best of luck to both teams and I pray for no injuries as we begin District play the following week. #JFND
              Great! Synopsis.
              IMO, a win for Southlake comes down to two critical factors from Southlake.
              1. QB play must improve. This includes execution, decisioning, turnovers...
              2. Our DE must be back playing, he is critical for any pressure and run D.

At this point, only home field and tradition lead me to a SLC pick by 1 point. If this was at,Rockwall they win by 7-10. In the past we could match scoring to counter our ineffective D. That is not so true this year.
              09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
              09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX)
              09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX)
              09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX)
              10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX)
              10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX)
              10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX)

10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
              11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
              11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)

Comment

Dragons by less than 10......"protect the house" is the edge IMO.

I understand there's a rabbit on the field for the Dragons.....hmmmmm

Comment

Great! Synopsis.

At this point, only home field and tradition lead me to a SLC pick by 1 point. If this was at,Rockwall they win by 7-10. In the past we could match scoring to counter our ineffective D. That is not so true this year.
                  If this gets into a shoot out the Dragons won't keep up, if the INTs continue. Hal is such a "stay the course" guy (his mantra), I really don't expect drastic changes. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

I've got the Dragons in my BEBC Pick'em, I'm counting on you Slackers not to let me down!!

Good Luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	36374761764_8c7eb5f1e4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	318694

~
                    There is no escape — man drags man down, or man lifts man up.

Booker T. Washington
                    PCC
                    2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

Comment

Great! Synopsis.

Decisioning? Is that like circumsioning?
                      Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art.

Comment

Originally posted by SLCbacker View Post

I don't totally agree with this logic. Some guys can complete deep out passes with high efficiency (every QB at SLC between 2002 and 2014), and some cannot. Agnew and Hill had natural ability, and instinct, to play QB that Holmes and Bowers didn't, and don't, have. Can you imagine the show had Kenny and Agnew had LJH and Farrar to throw to? Check downs and under throws are on the QB, not receiver.
                        Grouping Holmes and Bowers (at this point in Will's career anyway) is ridiculous. Holmes was a far superior athlete and QB. I like Will, but this is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Halarious View Post

Grouping Holmes and Bowers (at this point in Will's career anyway) is ridiculous. Holmes was a far superior athlete and QB. I like Will, but this is a mess.
                          That's fair, and I agree, a complete mess. My point was, neither should be categorized with Kenny or Agnew.

Comment

Originally posted by drgnbkr View Post

Decisioning? Is that like circumsioning?
                            Good Lord I hope Not! Lol!

I was channeling my best Pres Bush...
                            09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
                            09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX)
                            09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX)
                            09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX)
                            10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX)
                            10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX)
                            10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX)

10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
                            11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
                            11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)

Comment

Originally posted by Halarious View Post

This has been coming for a while. It didn't happen all at once.
                              Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art.

Comment

What type of injury did Doddridge have in the Martin game and what's his status for Friday night?

Rockwall's standout corner, Triston Anderson is out along with starting DE Calverley.

Comment

Working...
                                X