Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 3: Rockwall @ Carroll - 7:30pm Dragon Stadium by slcdragonfan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Week 3: Rockwall @ Carroll - 7:30pm Dragon Stadium by slcdragonfan

    SLC13 typically has typically started our threads with impeccable detail. Unfortunately he has been ill, and I have been out of town for a bit so we have been slow to get our threads going. We prefer to start our own threads or, of course, accept our opponents starting the game thread.

    I will provide details in a second post for comparisons but wanted to get this up since our games seem to be in so much demand.

    16
    Rockwall stones SLC by 10 or better
    12.50%
    2
    Rockwall barely pebbles SLC by 9 or less
    6.25%
    1
    SLC reasserts its offensive prowess and wins by 10 or better
    12.50%
    2
    SLC gets another squeaker, wins by 9 or less
    68.75%
    11

    The poll is expired.

    09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
    09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX) L 50-33
    09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX) W 52-38
    09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX) W 45-31
    10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX) L 21-20
    10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) W 53-0
    10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) W 35-21

    10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
    11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
    11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
    5-2

  • #2
    First things first. Stats from Dallas Morning News, what an incredible website! Start here:
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football

    Arlington got their first football win over Southlake Carroll last week, rocking them to the tune of 50-33. SLC lost an important player in the second half of the game and it showed with Martin scoring 28 in the second half. Youth and QB play continued to be an issue with mistakes plaguing the Dragons.

    SOUTHLAKE CARROLL
    ----------------------------------------------------
    PASSING


    W. Bowers
    Stats:
    • 168 Yds
    • 12-16
    • 2 TDs
    RUSHING

    T. McDaniel
    Stats:
    • 221 Yds
    • 8.84 Yds/Att
    • 3 TDs
    RECEIVING

    C. Bell
    Stats:
    • 6 Rec
    • 69 Yds
    • 1 TDs
    ARLINGTON MARTIN
    ----------------------------------------------------
    PASSING


    J. Otoviano
    Stats:
    • 160 Yds
    • 7-14
    • 1 TDs
    RUSHING

    J. Otoviano
    Stats:
    • 182 Yds
    • 7.28 Yds/Att
    • 3 TDs
    RECEIVING

    B. Willis
    Stats:
    • 4 Rec
    • 140 Yds
    • 1 TDs
    ----------------------------------------------------
    1st Downs 19 19
    Total Yards 424 487
    Passing 204 160
    Comp-Att 17-25 7-14
    Yards per pass 12 22.9
    Interceptions thrown 1 1
    Rushing 220 327
    Rushing Attempts 33 47
    Yards per rush 6.7 7
    Penalties 7-60 12-92
    Turnovers 2 1
    Fumbles lost 1 0
    SLC also just eeked by Broken Arrow. Mistakes were a factor as expected with youth and a first game, but the refs also played a role, admitting they had an inadvertent whistle which called back a Carroll TD, with Carroll then losing the ball with a fumble/TD to BA on the very next play. Final score 21-14.

    SOUTHLAKE CARROLL
    ----------------------------------------------------
    PASSING


    W. Bowers
    Stats:
    • 258 Yds
    • 20-26
    • 1 TDs
    RUSHING

    T. McDaniel
    Stats:
    • 106 Yds
    • 3.53 Yds/Att
    • 2 TDs
    RECEIVING

    C. Bell
    Stats:
    • 8 Rec
    • 153 Yds
    • 1 TDs
    BROKEN ARROW
    ----------------------------------------------------

    PASSING


    L. Wright
    Stats:
    • 159 Yds
    • 15-26
    • 0 TDs
    RUSHING

    N. Cortes
    Stats:
    • 59 Yds
    • 3.47 Yds/Att
    • 0 TDs
    RECEIVING

    M. Kaiser

    Stats:
    • 5 Rec
    • 56 Yds
    • 0 TDs
    ----------------------------------------------------
    BOXSCORE:
    1st Downs 24 11
    Total Yards 435 190
    Passing 258 159
    Comp-Att 20-27 15-27
    Yards per pass 12.9 10.6
    Interceptions thrown 2 0
    Rushing 177 31
    Rushing Attempts 44 27
    Yards per rush 4 1.1
    Penalties 6-75 4-25
    Turnovers 4 1
    Fumbles lost 2 1
    Interceptions thrown 2 0
    Carroll does not usually lose at home, so they will defend the home turf with everything they have. Will it be enough?

    Rockwall is 1-1, with a win over defending 5A state champion Highland Park, 53-49 and a narrow loss to neighbor Rowlett, 48-41. Scoring in droves, but also allowing scoring in droves, Rockwall is still finding its defensive footing, while showing what was expected offensively.

    Stats for both games to come

    My heart says SLC finds a way to get a win, but my head says that Rockwall has too much firepower for the SLC defense while the SLC offense has been all rushing and too readily defended without the threat of the deep ball or the QB making the correct reads. I will wait to pick until I review stats.
    Last edited by slcdragonfan; 09-12-2017, 01:05 PM.
    09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
    09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX) L 50-33
    09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX) W 52-38
    09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX) W 45-31
    10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX) L 21-20
    10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) W 53-0
    10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) W 35-21

    10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
    11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
    11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
    5-2

    Comment


    • #3
      HP/Rockwall Boxscore:
      1st Downs 23 20
      Total Yards 528 489
      Passing 379 399
      Comp-Att 19-30 24-32
      Yards per pass 19.9 16.6
      Interceptions thrown 1 0
      Rushing 149 90
      Rushing Attempts 35 30
      Yards per rush 4.3 3
      Penalties 5-45 6-55
      Turnovers 1 1
      Fumbles lost 0 1
      Interceptions thrown 1 0
      Rockwall Top Performers

      PASSING

      J. Clark Stats:
      • 399 Yds
      • 24-32
      • 5 TDs
      RUSHING

      L. Bailey Stats:
      • 76 Yds
      • 5.85 Yds/Att
      • 2 TDs
      RECEIVING

      C. Crayton Stats:
      • 11 Rec
      • 214 Yds
      • 4 TDs
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Rockwall/Rowlett Boxscore:
      1st Downs 21 20
      Total Yards 439 425
      Passing 366 191
      Comp-Att 20-34 12-23
      Yards per pass 18.3 15.9
      Interceptions thrown 1 0
      Rushing 73 234
      Rushing Attempts 34 45
      Yards per rush 2.1 5.2
      Penalties 5-55 7-74
      Turnovers 3 0
      Fumbles lost 2 0
      Interceptions thrown 1 0
      Rockwall Top Performers

      PASSING

      J. Clark Stats:
      • 366 Yds
      • 20-34
      • 3 TDs
      RUSHING

      L. Bailey Stats:
      • 68 Yds
      • 4.25 Yds/Att
      • 1 TDs
      RECEIVING

      J. Smith Stats:
      • 11 Rec
      • 261 Yds
      • 2 TDs
      Last edited by slcdragonfan; 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM.
      09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
      09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX) L 50-33
      09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX) W 52-38
      09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX) W 45-31
      10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX) L 21-20
      10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) W 53-0
      10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) W 35-21

      10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
      11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
      11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
      5-2

      Comment


      • #4
        Shout out and a speedy recovery to SLC13. You are missed.

        Interesting match up this week, with both teams needing a win to bounce back off of losses last week. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'll be at another game this week. It will be interesting to see what adjustments Hal and staff make. There is a definite problem at QB, and that's just the start. I would like to think the Dragons bounce back and win this one, but just don't know. This teams best chance is to run and control the clock, I don't see them winning a shoot out against anyone with all the QB mistakes, and inabilities. The only time I can recall a similar situation was the first few games of 2010, prior to moving up soph Kenny Hill to start. Maybe we see more of Soph Blake Smith? As far as Defense goes, if Doddridge is out, it will be a long night for the Dragons. He is the glue that holds the front 7 together. The secondary will be tested, but should be a strength for Carroll.

        Comment


        • #5
          #PantherOn

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chhspantherfan View Post

            Wow, a little abuse of power never stopped a dragon........... it appears you deleted the other thread, may I ask why? Was it that it was started on Saturday, thus violating that unwritten rule? Or is it because you've got the power?
            You missed the memo. I have no power, I am simply a user on this board like everyone else, I resigned my position several months ago for personal reasons. I had no idea the other thread was deleted and did not ask for it to be deleted. In fact, I have not talked to anyone about the other thread other than other Dragon fans.
            But, you are free to worship me anyway.
            09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
            09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX) L 50-33
            09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX) W 52-38
            09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX) W 45-31
            10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX) L 21-20
            10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) W 53-0
            10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) W 35-21

            10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
            11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
            11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
            5-2

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

              you missed the memo. I have no power, i am simply a user on this board like everyone else, i resigned my position several months ago for personal reasons. I had no idea the other thread was deleted and did not ask for it to be deleted. In fact, i have not talked to anyone about the other thread other than other dragon fans.
              But, you are free to worship me anyway.
              lolol

              Comment


              • #8
                This is going to be very interesting. Does SLC come out and try to just be a better, more efficient version of the team that lost last week, or will there be changes that might signify a more strategic, long-term approach that will result in some (potentially brutal) short-term lumps with an eye towards the post-season and beyond?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

                  You missed the memo. I have no power, I am simply a user on this board like everyone else, I resigned my position several months ago for personal reasons. I had no idea the other thread was deleted and did not ask for it to be deleted. In fact, I have not talked to anyone about the other thread other than other Dragon fans.
                  But, you are free to worship me anyway.
                  You typed a whole lot for me there.....😂😂😂😂
                  #PantherOn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OakTreeOut-n-Up View Post
                    This is going to be very interesting. Does SLC come out and try to just be a better, more efficient version of the team that lost last week, or will there be changes that might signify a more strategic, long-term approach that will result in some (potentially brutal) short-term lumps with an eye towards the post-season and beyond?
                    I would bet they try to be better. I don't think Hal is strategic, or thinking long term.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The problem is SLC can no longer just run McDaniel. Martin figured out the Carroll game plan and put an end to that in the second half, and without a passing game SLC can't afford to get behind.

                      Yes the QB situation for SLC does appear shaky but the kid has absolutely no receiver help. Bowers isn't the most athletic QB and doesn't have the strongest arm but his receivers give him absolutely no shot at anything downfield. All SLC can do is throw high percentage passes to the sidelines and hope for a catch.

                      And the SLC offensive coordinator is going to have to call more designed QB runs to keep the defense honest, free up McDaniel, and open the passing game.

                      Here's the Rockwall scouting report for SLC: run McDaniel left, run McDaniel right, pass. Next series: run McDaniel left, run McDaniel right, give up on the pass and run Gould to the left. Lather, rinse, repeat.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MGoBlue View Post
                        The problem is SLC can no longer just run McDaniel. Martin figured out the Carroll game plan and put an end to that in the second half, and without a passing game SLC can't afford to get behind.

                        Yes the QB situation for SLC does appear shaky but the kid has absolutely no receiver help. Bowers isn't the most athletic QB and doesn't have the strongest arm but his receivers give him absolutely no shot at anything downfield. All SLC can do is throw high percentage passes to the sidelines and hope for a catch.

                        And the SLC offensive coordinator is going to have to call more designed QB runs to keep the defense honest, free up McDaniel, and open the passing game.

                        Here's the Rockwall scouting report for SLC: run McDaniel left, run McDaniel right, pass. Next series: run McDaniel left, run McDaniel right, give up on the pass and run Gould to the left. Lather, rinse, repeat.
                        I don't disagree with anything except the bolded. Weren't the int's in the first game the result of underthrown balls?

                        Jury is still out on the OC, we will have to see if they are just exploring or not.
                        09/01 7:00p @ Broken Arrow (Broken Arrow, OK) W 21-14
                        09/08 7:30p @ Martin (Arlington, TX) L 50-33
                        09/15 7:30p Rockwall (Rockwall, TX) W 52-38
                        09/29 7:30p Flower Mound (Flower Mound, TX) W 45-31
                        10/06 7:30p @ Trinity (Euless, TX) L 21-20
                        10/13 7:30p Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) W 53-0
                        10/20 7:30p Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) W 35-21

                        10/26 7:00p @ Byron Nelson (Trophy Club, TX)
                        11/03 7:30p Bell (Hurst, TX)
                        11/10 7:30p @ Hebron (Carrollton, TX)
                        5-2

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by slcdragonfan View Post

                          I don't disagree with anything except the bolded. Weren't the int's in the first game the result of underthrown balls?

                          Jury is still out on the OC, we will have to see if they are just exploring or not.
                          He was being very kind. Most deep balls are under thrown, and that is after a bad decision to make the throw to begin with. Again, that is only one problem, but it is a big one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SLCbacker View Post

                            He was being very kind. Most deep balls are under thrown, and that is after a bad decision to make the throw to begin with. Again, that is only one problem, but it is a big one.
                            Yeah, but, Holmes had the same problem. The difference is Holmes, Agnew, and Hill had receivers who could go up and catch the ball.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MGoBlue View Post

                              Yeah, but, Holmes had the same problem. The difference is Holmes, Agnew, and Hill had receivers who could go up and catch the ball.
                              I don't totally agree with this logic. Some guys can complete deep out passes with high efficiency (every QB at SLC between 2002 and 2014), and some cannot. Agnew and Hill had natural ability, and instinct, to play QB that Holmes and Bowers didn't, and don't, have. Can you imagine the show had Kenny and Agnew had LJH and Farrar to throw to? Check downs and under throws are on the QB, not receiver.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X