2017 District 2-6a

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mojotrain View Post

I have it from a close source that this zebra team will be fair and balanced. No! I won't un cover my close source.
    Lol, so if central gets called on 27 penalties and loose the game they have no reason to complain, right? Get out here!

Comment

• I'm positive Angelo won't loose the game. They were pretty tight with us.

Comment

I'm positive Angelo won't loose the game. They were pretty tight with us.
        We were all positive last week that Tascosa would beat them, too. Though i agree, i don't see Central losing the game. Unless they choose now of all times to have their worst game of the season. Which I'm 100% positive they won't.

Comment

• Odessa 28 - Permian 21

Midland Lee 35 - Frenship 14

San Angelo Central 42 - Midland High 30

Comment

• MOJO 42 OHS 13
            LEE 38 Frenship 10
            SAC 38 MHS 24

Comment

• Permian 34 Odessa 21
              Lee 56 Frenship 14
              Central 56 Midland 21

Comment

• Midland Lee 38 at Frenship 7- the Rebs put the final touches on the 0-10 Tiger season. The FHS administration and school board should be real proud...

Permian 21 vs. Odessa 14- rivalry game should be low scoring. MOJO should prevail, but an upset (and OHS playoff spot...) is not out of the question.

SA Central 42 at Midland 21- sandbagging 'Cats will continue dominance over district 2-6A.

Comment

• MIKE LEE: Permian father embracing Bobcats football ... for now

Mike Lee, Special to the Standard-Times

Rory Couch had his son’s football future mapped out. Gunner Couch would follow his dad and be an all-state player for the Odessa Permian Panthers. Gunner might even follow his dad into the Permian Paw of Fame.

The plan sprang into action when Rory began coaching Gunner’s Pop Warner team in the fourth grade in Odessa.

“Considering I hadn’t missed a Permian game since I was 5 years old, I thought Gunner would have a ‘P’ on his helmet,” Rory said. “I bleed black and white. I wear Permian stuff (caps and shirts). It was all I’d ever known.”

But one of those life circumstances no one can predict changed Rory’s well-designed plan. He and his wife, Sky, divorced when Gunner was in the eighth grade. Gunner moved with Sky to San Angelo, where she grew up and her family and support system lived.

Sky’s dad is longtime San Angeloan Si Southall, which means Gunner has some serious football genes from both his dad and mom. Si played quarterback for two of legendary coach Gordon Wood’s state championship teams at Brownwood in 1965 and 1967.

A year after moving to San Angelo when Gunner was just a freshman, he made the Central varsity football team. After an injury in the season opener, he became a starter on the offensive line. By the time his freshman season ended in 2015, Gunner was voted the Newcomer of the Year in District 3-6A.

“I grew up thinking I would be a Permian Panther,” said Gunner, now a junior offensive tackle for the Bobcats. “It was tough when I first moved to San Angelo. But then I was blessed to be on the varsity and start as a freshman.

“Playing for Permian doesn’t really cross my mind now. We were blessed (at Central) to be 10-0 last year, and we’re trying to do it again this year.”

Rory, who still lives in Odessa but attends all of Gunner’s Central games, was defiant at first in not changing his apparel. He initially wore his Permian cap to Central’s games.

“During my freshman year, my dad had this shirt made that was black and gray but it said Central Bobcats on it,” Gunner said, laughing.

Slowly, though, Rory has modified his wardrobe.

“The Central coaches used to give me grief because I still wore my Permian hat around them,” said Rory, who played for the Panthers’ 1995 state runner-up team. “They made sure I got a collared Bobcat shirt. The first year was difficult. It took me awhile to get used to it.

“I guess you can say I got over it. I’ve been wearing orange and blue ever since. But I still wear my Permian cap sometimes to remind them where I’m from.”

Winning heals a lot of wounds, and the Bobcats are doing plenty of that. Ninth-year head coach Brent Davis has built Central into the best Class 6A football program west of San Antonio. The Bobcats are nearing an unprecedented fifth consecutive district title.

Central is 31-3 with Gunner playing on the offensive line. Even a diehard Permian Panther can appreciate that kind of success.

“We couldn’t ask for anything better for Gunner,” Rory admitted. “He is a part of something special. Everything happens for a reason. When it’s your kid, you want him to be on a winning team, and they’re definitely winning here.

“He’s getting looked at by some colleges because they’re winning. I’m behind him 100 percent.”

Gunner spends each summer with his dad in Odessa, and he has maintained the friendships with his childhood friends who now play for the rival Panthers.

“Tanner Adams, Permian’s middle linebacker, is Gunner’s best friend,” Rory said. “He goes on family vacations with us to the beach and the golf course. He basically lives with us in the summer.

“Then he and Gunner go home to their moms when the summer’s over.”

Being friends with most of the Permian players and all of the Central players put Gunner in a unique position last Friday night when the Bobcats hosted the Panthers in a meeting of undefeated teams.

“I knew everyone on their defense,” Gunner said. “I got to punk on them a little. It was definitely a cool experience.”

Especially since Central won 31-20, claiming its fifth consecutive win over Permian.
                  Gunner wants to help Central win as many games as possible, then fulfill his lifelong dream of playing for a Division I college. He already has received some initial college interest – which isn’t surprising since he’s 6-foot-3 and 285 pounds with a strong football pedigree and a decorated career for a winning program.

“He actually likes the X’s and O’s of football,” said Si Southall, Gunner’s maternal grandfather who scouted high school players for 29 years as an Angelo State assistant coach. “He knows a lot more about pass coverages than any high school offensive lineman I’ve seen. He knows that if this guy rushes the passer, that guy has to pick up the defensive end.”

There’s little doubt that Rory’s allegiance to Central football will end when Gunner graduates, but that won’t come until after the 2018 season. Until then …

“He’s my son. He’s a Bobcat, and I’m wearing orange,” Rory said. “When Central plays Permian, that’s the only time I cheer against Permian.

“I’m wearing orange and blue now. But, you know, I still bleed black and white."

Mike Lee writes a high school football column on Fridays during the season. Contact him at michaellee7@att.net.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/story/spo...now/825596001/

GoCentralSports.com

2015 3-6A Regular Season Pick Em' Challenge Champion

Comment

• Adult tickets are sold out on the Permian side. A few student tickets remaining. About 1500 Odessa tickets remain.
                    The Official Home of The Odessa Permian Panthers- www.odessapermian.com

Comment

• Originally posted by odessapermian.com View Post
                      Adult tickets are sold out on the Permian side. A few student tickets remaining. About 1500 Odessa tickets remain.
                      Oh boy! Wish the old Mojo air force could do a flyover and put some photographs on utube. This is one where cars will still be lined up down Grandview at the end of the first quarter.

Comment

Oh boy! Wish the old Mojo air force could do a flyover and put some photographs on utube. This is one where cars will still be lined up down Grandview at the end of the first quarter.
                        Nothing like the good ol' days when Richard Winder's OHS Bronchos squared off against John Wilkins' PHS Panthers at WT Barrett Stadium....wooden seats, cinder track, traffic stopped on West County Road...

Comment

• Will #18 be at QB for the p tomorrow? If so should be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrislozoya52 View Post
                            Will #18 be at QB for the p tomorrow? If so should be interesting.
                            No one is saying, but #18 has had by far the most reps with the 1st group...

Comment

• Hope #25 will be good to go for the playoffs hate to see a senior go out that way would have been good reps for #20.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrislozoya52 View Post
                                Hope #25 will be good to go for the playoffs hate to see a senior go out that way would have been good reps for #20.
                                Don't know the health of #25...mo... if 25 is good to go.. #18 will get the start but may be on somewhat of a short leash

Comment

Working...
                                X