Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2017 8-5A Thread (w/2016 included)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by metroplexfbfan View Post
    4,204
    thanks.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post

      thanks.
      No problem. I do believe it would make for an extremely competitive program but at the expense of athletes losing their status as student/athletes within the district. One can imagine how squeaky the wheels can get in that district. Parents, with money, believe they have the power and at a place like that there is no way a backup at Heritage is going to be pushed out of any program without a fight. Success be "damned."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by metroplexfbfan View Post

        No problem. I do believe it would make for an extremely competitive program but at the expense of athletes losing their status as student/athletes within the district. One can imagine how squeaky the wheels can get in that district. Parents, with money, believe they have the power and at a place like that there is no way a backup at Heritage is going to be pushed out of any program without a fight. Success be "damned."
        Understood. The power and right of the almighty $$. Happening on both sides. One school town/cities that are large(growth) and refuse to accomodate another school.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post

          Understood. The power and right of the almighty $$. Happening on both sides. One school town/cities that are large(growth) and refuse to accomodate another school.
          Unfortunately they are stealing state titles from 20 kids so 40 can play. With the selfishness of parents, they justify this in their own mind's. Imagine the baseball program's, alone, combined. We would be talking back to back reigning champs right now. But little Johnny who was player #9 off the bench for Heritage would have been cut long ago and would have lost all identity in the name of success.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post
            Curious? What would be the enrollment #'s if Grapevine & CHHS were combined as one & Would that make for a strong athletic program? Just wondering?
            fought against the second senior high back in the day, the driving forces behind it don't even live here today..........
            The loudest voice for tolerance comes from the most intolerant people.

            We are both entitled to our opinion, that doesn't mean either one of us are correct.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by chhspantherfan View Post

              fought against the second senior high back in the day, the driving forces behind it don't even live here today..........
              Definitely advantages and disadvantages of both. Also is the Grapevine-Colleyville area landlocked or is it continuing to grow/build? Capped?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Eagle2 View Post
                Definitely advantages and disadvantages of both. Also is the Grapevine-Colleyville area landlocked or is it continuing to grow/build? Capped?
                Area is pretty much built out and the growth is in the Justin, Roanoke, Argyle corridor.


                Comment


                • Originally posted by Early Panther Dad View Post

                  Area is pretty much built out and the growth is in the Justin, Roanoke, Argyle corridor.

                  Ok makes sense. Thanks for info.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by chhspantherfan View Post

                    fought against the second senior high back in the day, the driving forces behind it don't even live here today..........
                    What was your rationale for opposition?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by metroplexfbfan View Post

                      What was your rationale for opposition?
                      Wanting a one high school district. Picked Grapevine over SL
                      The loudest voice for tolerance comes from the most intolerant people.

                      We are both entitled to our opinion, that doesn't mean either one of us are correct.

                      Comment


                      • The 90's and 2000's football squads would've been something special that's for sure. A single school would be very competitive at all athletics and academics. Grapevine now has a higher population than it did when I was in high school (2003-2007) yet the school has a lot less kids if that tells you the demographics of the city (old people that have been here forever and don't move)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mustangman21 View Post
                          The 90's and 2000's football squads would've been something special that's for sure. A single school would be very competitive at all athletics and academics. Grapevine now has a higher population than it did when I was in high school (2003-2007) yet the school has a lot less kids if that tells you the demographics of the city (old people that have been here forever and don't move)
                          correct.
                          The loudest voice for tolerance comes from the most intolerant people.

                          We are both entitled to our opinion, that doesn't mean either one of us are correct.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mustangman21 View Post
                            The 90's and 2000's football squads would've been something special that's for sure. A single school would be very competitive at all athletics and academics. Grapevine now has a higher population than it did when I was in high school (2003-2007) yet the school has a lot less kids if that tells you the demographics of the city (old people that have been here forever and don't move)
                            Finally decided to weigh in on this discussion.

                            I'm one of the old people that have been here forever (since 1980) and don't move. Son was a freshman at CHHS the second year of the school in 1997. I favored one school at the time regardless of athletic success. It didn't take Nostradamus to figure out that this area was land locked and when growth slowed, the need for two high schools would diminish. What two high schools did was create a logistics nightmare and allow some with less than pure motives to gerrymander attendance zones to meet their view of how things should be. A junior high/senior high approach with everyone feeding into the same high school would have pretty much eliminated that nightmare. Today you would have a high school of about 4,000 split between a ninth and tenth grade campus and an eleventh and twelfth grade campus.


                            Comment


                            • Now on to football. This week's picks of the football illiterate. After a 3-1 week (I bow to the greatness of chhspantherfan in picking Poly), the illiterate is presently at 37-3 in 8 5A games.


                              CHHS vs Birdville.- The Hawks fly in but are forced to walk out when CHHS clips their wings. A good test for the Panthers.
                              Carter Riverside vs. Grapevine - Eagles are hopping mad after their upset loss to Poly, and keep it close for the first 30 seconds.
                              Eastern Hills vs. Dunbar - Wildcats claw the Highlanders for their first win of the year.
                              Richland vs. Poly - Parrots are flying high after their first win...not high enough to avoid being shot down by the Rebels.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Early Panther Dad View Post
                                Now on to football. This week's picks of the football illiterate. After a 3-1 week (I bow to the greatness of chhspantherfan in picking Poly), the illiterate is presently at 37-3 in 8 5A games.


                                CHHS vs Birdville.- The Hawks fly in but are forced to walk out when CHHS clips their wings. A good test for the Panthers.
                                Carter Riverside vs. Grapevine - Eagles are hopping mad after their upset loss to Poly, and keep it close for the first 30 seconds.
                                Eastern Hills vs. Dunbar - Wildcats claw the Highlanders for their first win of the year.
                                Richland vs. Poly - Parrots are flying high after their first win...not high enough to avoid being shot down by the Rebels.
                                Looks right. EH/Dunbar is the only one I see with a possible different outcome.
                                The loudest voice for tolerance comes from the most intolerant people.

                                We are both entitled to our opinion, that doesn't mean either one of us are correct.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X